Providing full Architectural and Interior Design services for a wide range of clients and building types, Small Architects is able to translate your vision to reality and guide your project from conception to completion.
- “We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us” – Winston Churchill
- “All fine architectural values are human values, else not valuable” – Frank Lloyd Wright
- “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it” – Psalms 127:1
- “Architecture is basically a container of something. I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea” – Yoshio Taniguchi
- “Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together” – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
- “Nothing requires the Architect’s care more than the due proportions of buildings” – Vitruvius
- “Architecture is inhabited sculpture” – Constantin Brancusi
- “The frightening thought that what you draw may become a building makes for reasoned lines” – Saul Steinberg
- “Buildings should serve people, not the other way around” – John Portman
- “Architecture is the thoughtful making of space” – Louis Kahn
- “A proper building grows naturally, logically, and poetically out of all its conditions” – Louis Sullivan
- “Less is more” – Ludwig Meis van der Rohe / “Less is a bore” – Robert Venturi
- “Always design a thing by considering it in its next larger context – a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan” – Eliel Saarinen
Principal/Director of Architecture
Mr. Small has been in practice since 1982. Having formed The Small Group in 2000, the firm has continuously expanded since. He leads the professional staff on a daily basis, and maintains direct control of all projects commissioned to the firm.
Notable projects completed by Mr. Small include the Oklahoma City National Memorial Center, the Rehabilitation of the Journal Record Building, the Renovation and Expansion of the Putnam Heights Elementary School and the Emerson Alternative School, and the Bricktown Police Substation. Mr. Small has completed significant projects all over the United States.
The south/central region of the United States has weathered the economic storm over the past decade quite nicely, thanks. In particular, Oklahoma City has enjoyed continued and sustained growth due to a diversification of its economy – as compared to the bust of the 1980’s. Admittedly, the most recent elevated growth in development has still […]
Posted in All Posts, Firm Blog, Small Thoughts Blog
Tagged architecture, architects, Small Architects, Oklahoma City, AIA, Buildings, Edmond, Edmond Public Schools, local architects, American Institute of Architects
print /print/ (verb) :to cause (words, images, etc.) to appear on paper or cloth by using a machine (called a printer) :to use a machine (called a printing press) to produce (books, newspapers, magazines, etc.) :to include (something) in a book, newspaper, magazine, etc. (Merriam-Webster m-w.com) Printing history goes back to the day […]
In the spirit of the season, I wanted to reflect back on the past year and share some moments of inspiration I found in 2014. (Click on the images for a link to the source of inspiration!) … January_Moses Bridge_Netherlands Just as the name suggests, this modern bridge literally parts the waters of the Fort de Roovere. […]